Take the Course
Start Date13 February 2023
End Date26 March 2023
Many people who experience a traumatic event will go on with their lives without lasting negative effects, others will have more difficulty and experience traumatic stress reactions.
This course will provide you with an introduction on how to apply various methodologies and intervention strategies in Crisis and Trauma situations.
This introductory course will enhance your knowledge and literacy regarding crisis and trauma.
In this 6-week course, you will learn about various Crisis and Trauma interventions and how to apply them. Crisis and Trauma Counselling is a specialised, targeted intervention that provides a framework to identify which methodologies are most effective in their application. Gain an understanding of the rationale behind methodologies that are appropriate to use in Crisis and Trauma counselling scenarios.
Note: Counselling skills training is required to assist people in crisis and trauma. This course does not address counselling skills training. It focuses on the context of crises and trauma.
Time commitment per week
An average of 10 – 13 hours weekly.
Is this course for you?
This course is for you if you have counselling skills and want to explore specialised Crisis and Trauma Counselling interventions.
Class of 2023 February: 13 February – 26 March
Class of 2023 March: 13 March – 23 April
Upon completion, you will receive a digital certificate of competence as evidence of skills and knowledge demonstrated.
This course has been designed and developed by experts in the field of psychology. The Crisis Interventions micro-credential is for anyone needing to up-skill in this area and offers 60 hours of learning and assessment.
Learners study online with peers and receive robust academic content while acquiring practical industry-relevant skills.
Stack specified combinations of SACAP Global micro-credentials and they can be recognised as equivalent to a module within our degree programme at SACAP South Africa.
Crisis Interventions can be stacked with Intro to Crisis and Trauma, Symptoms of Crisis and Trauma, Crisis Interventions and Effective Crisis and Trauma Management, and recognised as equivalent to a module within the Bachelor of Applied Social Science Degree.
What You’ll Need
- Access to Microsoft Word
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Stable internet connection
What You’ll Learn
Over the course of six (6) weeks, through videos, readings and discussions, you will explore the following topics:
- Week 1: Crisis and the Process of Assessment
- Week 2: The ABC Model and Triage Assessment System
- Week 3: Psychobiological and Emotional State Assessment
- Week 4: The Six-Step Model and Psychological First Aid
- Week 5: Brief and Strength-Based interventions
- Week 6: The Narrative Approach and Wits Trauma Model
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define the term ‘crisis’ and the way it can impact an individual or community.
- Describe assessment in relation to crisis management.
- Assess the severity of a crisis and apply the ABCs of assessing a crisis.
- Understand the triage assessment system for suicide or self-harm.
- Explore psychobiological assessment.
- Assess a client’s current emotional functioning, alternatives, coping mechanisms and support systems.
- Apply the Psychological First Aid intervention technique for crisis management.
- Learn the six-step model of crisis intervention.
- Describe the use of Brief Intervention techniques in crisis Intervention.
- Understand the use of strength-based crisis intervention strategies in crisis management.
- Describe a narrative therapeutic approach to crisis intervention.
- Discuss the Wits Trauma Model and its application.
You will have also created a portfolio of evidence, which you can use to demonstrate your understanding and knowledge of Crisis and Trauma methodologies and intervention strategies.
Our short course developers and assessors are expert practitioners. They have been selected for the breadth and depth of experience in their respective disciplines. The team loves sharing their knowledge and online learning expertise to help you get the most out of your learning journey.
Broaden your knowledge of emotional functioning and coping mechanisms for victims of trauma.
Identify which methodologies are most effective in their application.
Apply various Crisis and Trauma methodologies and intervention strategies