Intro to Coaching
Take the CourseIntro to Coaching
Start Date1 October 2023
End Date31 December 2023
Coaching helps us understand the way we interpret, prioritise, decide, anticipate, and engage with ourselves and the world around us. It supports us to develop self-belief, intrinsic motivation, choice, clarity, commitment, awareness, responsibility, and a readiness to act.
Coaching is the art of getting the most out of who we are and what we do in the world.
The Intro to Coaching short course will provide you with a broad understanding of coaching principles.
Explore the important aspects that inform the capacity to coach. This 40-hour introductory short course will show you what supports and hinders effective coaching.
Learn how to grow your capacity to build relationships, communicate effectively, cultivate ways to generate goals, and manage your progress in day-to-day life and the workplace.
Is this course for you?
If you want to understand what coaching is all about, unlock your potential and empower yourself and others then this short course is for you.
Dates and Registration
- Class of 2023 October – December
- Class of 2024 January – March
- Class of 2024 April – June
- Class of 2024 July – September
- Class of 2024 October – December
Short course classes are on demand allowing you to register at any time and move through course content at a time that suits you. Learners will have access to the course for the class period they choose when registering.
Upon completion, you will receive a digital certificate of completion as evidence of the skills and knowledge demonstrated.
The Intro to Coaching short course has been designed and developed by experts in the field of psychology. The course is for anyone needing to upskill in this area and offers 40 hours of learning.
What You’ll Need
- Access to Microsoft Word
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Stable internet connection
What You’ll Learn
Through course videos, readings and self-reflection activities, you will explore the following topics:
- Introduction to coaching: Discover the wide range of applications of coaching, and the differences between coaching and other modalities. Reference will be made to specific competencies that inform effective coaching and you will have the opportunity to discover your readiness for coaching.
- The power of coaching. Navigating uncertainty and change: Gain insight into how behavioural change works and the role neuroscience plays in coaching to reduce the intensity of change experienced in the process of our day-to-day. You will also explore the role of change management coaching and the impact it can have.
- Fundamental aspects of coaching: Explore the importance of establishing the right conditions to create a safe space for others. Learn about fundamental skills coaches use to create psychological safety, build trust and remain present in the conversation. Learn how to cultivate deep listening, effective responding and questioning skills.
- The GROW model for coaching conversations: Learn about a classic problem-solving model that has been used extensively to frame coaching conversations. It offers a guided conversational framework that can be used to structure any learning or coaching conversation.
- Coaching tools: Try out several tools that support coaches to work effectively within a coaching conversation. You will learn how to prioritise areas for coaching, build emotional literacy and unpack assumptions The tools are not only simple and easy to use but can be adapted to almost every coaching situation.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Recognise and distinguish between what is and what is not coaching.
- Explain the scope, purpose, and outcomes of coaching and how it differs from other modalities.
- Describe how coaching works and the competencies that inform effective coaching.
- Clarify how coaching supports individuals to navigate the impact of change.
- Synthesise learnings from neuroscience, psychology, and adult learning to support change and development.
- Define how to create the optimal environment of psychological trust and safety for successful coaching conversations.
- Explore the attributes skills and behaviours that inform effectiveness of coaching.
- Apply a coaching model to your own context.
- Experiment with several tools that support a coaching way of working.
Our short course developers are expert practitioners. They have been selected for the breadth and depth of experience in their respective disciplines. The team loves sharing their knowledge and online learning expertise to help you get the most out of your learning journey.
Understand what coaching is and how it works.
Explore change, responses to change and how to navigate change better.
Identify fundamental coaching skills and approaches.