Building a Positive Self-Esteem
Take the Course
Building a Positive Self-Esteem
Start Date13 March 2023
End Date23 April 2023
Do you realise your true potential? Or are you holding yourself back?
Gain a better understanding of the magnificence of who you are and use this course to build positive self-esteem.
This course gives you a framework and practical structure to gain a deeper understanding of your self-esteem.
In this 6-week course, you will explore the concept and theories of self-esteem. Investigate factors impacting self-esteem both theoretically and practically through personal reflection.
Determine which methods and strategies you can employ to enhance your self-esteem and that of those around you. Your thoughts, life experiences, emotions and self-concept play a great role in how self-esteem manifests and influences your choices and behaviours. This means you are shaping your life with every action you take.
This course will guide you on a journey of critical thinking and self-reflection where you can explore the context of your self-esteem and consider various strategies to enhance it.
Time commitment per week
An average of 10 – 13 hours weekly.
Is this course for you?
If you want to understand how your self-esteem developed, what factors have affected it, and how you can build positive self-esteem – then this micro-credential is for you.
Class of 2023 March: 13 March – 23 April
Class of 2023 May: 15 May – 25 June
Class of 2023 June: 12 June – 23 July
Class of 2023 August: 14 August – 24 September
Class of 2023 September: 11 September – 22 October
Class of 2023 October: 23 October – 03 December
Upon completion, you will receive a digital certificate of competence as evidence of the skills and knowledge demonstrated.
The Building a Positive Self-Esteem micro-credential has been designed for anyone needing to upskill in this area and offers 60 hours of learning and assessment.
Learners study online with expert facilitators and receive robust academic content while acquiring practical industry-relevant skills.
Stack specified combinations of SACAP Global micro-credentials and they can be recognised as equivalent to a module within our degree programme at SACAP South Africa.
If learners meet the minimum entrance criteria, they can enrol for the Bachelor of Applied Social Science Degree and apply for module
What You’ll Need
- Access to Microsoft Word
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Stable internet connection
What You’ll Learn
Over the course of six (6) weeks, through videos, readings and discussions, you will explore the following topics:
- Week 1: Identify key concepts and terminology related to self-esteem.
- Week 2: Critically reflect on the factors that can impact one’s self-esteem.
- Week 3: Describe strategies for working with the inner voice, disarming the inner-and-external critic in protecting one’s self-esteem.
- Week 4: Accurately assess your self-esteem using eminent reflective strategies with the aim of defusing painful thoughts and being compassionate towards the self.
- Week 5: Identify the prominent theoretical perspectives on self-esteem and the corresponding strategies that could enhance your self-esteem.
- Week 6: Summative Assignment
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify key concepts and terminology related to self-esteem.
- Explain how self-esteem is developed.
- Describe the effects that self-esteem has on an individual.
- Analyse where your self-esteem is now.
- Recognise the factors that impact one’s self-esteem.
- Investigate the role of parental support, involvement, and parenting style on early self-esteem development and how it directly influences self-esteem in adult relationships
- Evaluate the implications of low, medium, and high self-esteem.
- Identify how social influence, relationships, gender, culture, and stage of development affect self-esteem.
- Engage in a process of critical reflection around your own levels of self-esteem, considering the factors that impacted them.
- Discover the nature of our internal dialogue.
- Investigate the impact of the internal versus the external critic’s role on one’s self-esteem.
- Identify strategies for working with the inner voice, disarming the inner-and-external critic in protecting one’s self-esteem.
- Describe the impact of cognitive distortions on self-concept.
- Identify strategies that can be used to transform these distortions.
- Explain the role of self-compassion in relation to one’s self-concept.
- Recognise the significant role of thoughts in one’s level of self-esteem.
- Differentiate between the prominent theoretical perspectives on self-esteem.
- Examine the strategies and techniques that could be used to enhance self-esteem.
There are practical and self-reflective activities throughout the course to help you on the journey of self-discovery.
Each activity is carefully designed to enhance your learning and understanding of the content. This course is not purely academic, it has been designed to enhance your introspective journey and understanding of self.
During the course, you will create a portfolio of evidence, which you can use to demonstrate your knowledge of understanding of self-esteem and how to enhance it.
Our facilitators are expert practitioners in their field. They have been selected for the breadth and depth of experience in their respective disciplines, in addition to their online teaching skills. They love nothing more than working with learners to help them get the most out of their learning journey.
Improve your personal reflection abilities.
Apply principles that enhance your self-esteem daily.
Make the best choices and take action to shape your life for the better.