Private: Coaching Skills for Managers
Take the Course
Private: Coaching Skills for Managers
Start Date27 March 2023
End Date25 June 2023
UWC Class of 2023: 27 March – 25 June
NOTE: This is a private class. Non UWC learners will be removed from the online learning platform.
Coaching is a meaningful way that managers and leaders can spark the best within individuals.
Coaching is the art and science of getting the most out of who we are, and what we do. This management style provides a facilitated “progress-oriented conversation,” where coachees can discover new insights, set goals, choose actions and be accountable in achieving these goals as they cultivate growth through learning.
The Coaching Skills for Managers short course is internationally accredited (ICF ACSTH), and designed for managers who wish to apply coaching skills within their current work contexts.
Why complete the course?
- Enable employees, and a company as a whole, to achieve its objectives.
- Develop self-belief, self-motivation, choice, clarity, commitment, awareness, responsibility and a readiness to act.
- Unlock potential and empowers others to reach the next level of performance for individual and group benefit.
Is this course for you?
- If you are a manager that wants to refine the way you work and strengthen your engagement and inclusion abilities – then this course is for you.
- This course is ideal for managers and leaders in corporate organisations, NGOs, government departments and small to medium-sized businesses.
The course carries 30 hours of International Coaching Federation (ICF) Approved Coach Specific Training Hours (ACSTH) that can count towards the minimum number of coach training hours needed to credential with ICF as an Associate Certified Coach if a student wishes to pursue credentialing with the global body.
What You’ll Learn
Over the course of twelve (12) weeks you will explore the following topics:
Week 1: Welcome and Orientation – Introduction to Coaching Skills for Managers
Week 2: Change Principles; NeuroScience Approach – Positive Psychology Approach; The GROW Model
Week 3: Coaching Skills Introduction Session
Week 4: Demonstrating Ethical Practice, Embodying a Coaching Mindset
Week 5: Co-creating the Relationship Part 1: Establishing and Maintaining Agreement, Cultivates Trust & Safety and Maintains Coaching Presence
Week 6: Co-creating the Relationship Part 2: Establishing and Maintaining Agreements, Cultivates Trust & Safety, and Maintains Coaching Presence
Week 7: Communicating Effectively: Listens Actively and Evokes Awareness
Week 8: Cultivating Learning and Growth: Facilitates Learning and Growth
Week 9: Coaching Conversation Practice and Feedback
Week 10: Observed Session Reflection: Group Reflection & Feedforward Session
Week 11: Working with Individuals in the Context of Teams
Week 12: Wrap Up – Continuing Developing Quality in Coaching Knowledge and Skills
What You’ll Need
- Work experience: Minimum of 3 years
- Current or intended supervision, management or leadership of others in the workplace
- Access to Microsoft Word
- Adobe PDF Converter
- Zoom Video Communications
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Stable internet
- Textbook not incl. in course fee:
- An introduction to coaching skills: A practical guide (3rd ed.) Van Nieuwerburgh, C. (2020)
Learn how to implement coaching conversations that evoke awareness within their workplace. Empower others to maximise their work-related potential, performance and growth.
- Gain Knowledge Be exposed to the core coaching competencies as defined by the International Coaching Federation (ICF).
- Understand Coaching Models Learn how to apply the skills you’ve gained in conversations with colleagues and team members in the workplace.
- Practical Application Introduced to basic principles from psychology that will enhance your understanding of human behaviour and what motivates people.
- Customised Feedback The opportunity to engage with an internationally accredited International Coaching Federation (ICF) coach in a group mentoring session after your practice coaching session.
Dr Svea Van Der Hoorn
Svea is one of only a few ICF Master Certified Coaches (MCC) in South Africa. She teaches various coaching programmes and is an international faculty member of SolutionSurfers, Switzerland. Svea began her coaching career in response to the need to approach employee performance as a growth and development opportunity, rather than a traditional “carrot and stick” management style.
Her focus is on evolving an activity-based, embodied approach to online coaching training – combining the creativity, interactivity, and dignity of humanity with the accessibility and convenience of technology. Svea contributes to coaching in South Africa by serving on the board of the International Coaching Federation (ICF) where she volunteers at local continuing coach education events and offers mentor coaching for credentialing, supervision, and accredited coach specific training.
“My vision is that leaders and managers create environments with their people so that everyone comes to work ready and willing to contribute, rather than to merely pass time.”
Nicky is an eclectic master practitioner in leadership development and growth with experience across all levels in Corporate, Government and NGO sectors. Her work is supported by extensive training in both coaching and facilitation reflected in local and international credentials. Her current focus is on enabling leaders to strategically and significantly extend their capacity to ignite performance and creativity in ever-changing environments.
She revels in working with emerging complexities, constantly striving to better understand diversity and effect positive shifts in cultural dynamics that are both agile and enduring. Nicky is a Certified Integral® and Ontological Coach. She is credentialed as a Professional Certified Coach (PCC) of the International Coaching Federation and as a Master Coach Practitioner of Coaches and Mentors of South Africa (COMENSA).
“Love what you do, be good at it and make yourself easy to work with.”
Get the best from individuals.
Empower teams to be engaged and productive.
Gain an introduction to coaching as a potential career.